How to Apply

Remember, applying for Federal Student Aid is FREE!

Applying for financial aid starts with a single application called the FAFSA. Students are automatically considered for all forms of federal financial assistance by simply completing the following steps:

  • Be sure you have completed your federal tax forms. You'll need this information to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to make copies!
  • Apply for an FSA ID (and your parent if parent information is required on your FAFSA) online. Your FSA ID will be used to confirm your identity when completing your FAFSA online and when accessing any federal financial aid information.
  • File your FAFSA as soon after October 1st as possible or as early as possible before the semester you want to begin. Filing early gets you in line for any free financial aid grants. These are typically awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are exhausted. Your financial information will be forwarded to the schools you list on the FAFSA. Complete the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA online at We encourage you to complete the FAFSA on the web.
  • The ECTC federal school code is 001991. List this code on your FAFSA so information will be sent from the Department of Education to ECTC for processing.

What happens after I apply?

  • Once your FAFSA is processed by the U.S. Department of Education, you will be sent a Student Aid Report (SAR). If you filed electronically, the SAR will be sent to you via email.
  • The SAR will report the information from your application and, if there are no questions or problems with your application, your SAR will report your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the number used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid. Each college you listed on the application will also receive your application information.
  • Review the SAR comments and incorrect information if needed. If you find any errors, you can correct this by returning the paper SAR or by making corrections to a processed FAFSA online. If accurate, keep the SAR for your records.
  • As soon as your eligibility has been determined, the Office of Student Aid will set up your account and credit your account with the amount of student aid that you have been awarded. If your charges are less than the amount awarded, you will be issued a refund for the balance.

Don't limit your options. Scholarships and grants are awarded by ECTC, companies and organizations. Scholarships awarded by companies and organizations often require a special application. Contact them to get the form(s) and other requirements.

Keep a copy of every financial aid form you complete. Put it in a file along with your college applications and catalogs.

Contact Information

KCTCS/Elizabethtown Community and Technical College
Financial Aid Office
RPC 1st Floor Room 105
610 College Street Road Elizabethtown, KY 42701
(270) 706-8802 or (877) 246-2322 extension 68802
1-855-746-3282 24/7/365
FAX 270-769-0736