Verification is a review of FAFSA information submitted by the student (and parent(s) for dependent students). Every year the U.S. Department of Education selects a percentage of financial aid applicants for a review of their financial aid information. The school is required by the U.S. Department of Education to verify the information on the FAFSA is correct.
- The student must submit a verification worksheet, and in most cases, tax information to the school for review.
- Students selected for verification will be notified by email to review your "To Do Checklist" regarding required verification documents as well as other requirements for your financial aid.
- Students selected for verification may need to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
Note: This is a different form than years past. We no longer can accept a copy of your 1040, 104A or 1040EZ form.
- An IRS Tax Return Transcript may be required on the student, spouse and/or parents depending on the dependency status. To order a copy of your IRS tax transcript use the following link: IRS Tax Transcript.
- Copies of the tax return (1040, 1040EZ, etc.) are no longer acceptable per the U.S. Department of Education regulations.
- Students/parents are encouraged to submit the required information/documentation as soon as possible to enable the Financial Aid Office to review and release the student's aid funds in a timely manner.
- In order to receive funds, all forms MUST be received three weeks prior to the last day of the term. Failure to do so may result in loss of funds.
- Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you are having difficulty submitting forms.
- If there is a discrepancy in any of the verification documents submitted, you may need to provide the Financial Aid Office with additional information.
- Any necessary corrections will be resubmitted to the Federal Student Aid Processing Center.
- You will be notified if corrections are made. You will also receive a notification if your awards change due to a correction.
- Once selected for verification, you cannot receive any federal financial aid funds (including Federal Work Study and Direct Student Loans) until the verification process has been completed and your eligibility is determined.
- The verification review process normally is completed within 10-14 days after receipt of all required/requested documentation and supplemental information.
Once the verification process is complete, the student will receive information regarding financial aid eligibility.
Check out our list of verification worksheets/forms.