Summer Kid's College
We are so excited to be able to offer another event-filled Kid's College to the youth in our own local community!
This year our course offerings
- This course covers basics and is suitable for those who have never shot a bow or those with some previous experience. The class will cover eye dominance, safety rules, warm-up exercises, fitting tackle to archer (all equipment supplied), proper shooting techniques, basic steps, grouping, consistency, and scoring.
- Beginning Robotics
- Build and program a robot using the new Lego Mindstorms EV3 Kits. The camp will include techniques for building robots, motor torque vs. speed, various types of mechanisms and programming the robot to perform a task.
- Forensic Science
- This camp will take you through the basics of forensic science while you take apart simulated crime scenes and solve the crime yourself! You will learn the newest techniques and information and apply it to real hands-on situations. You'll also have the opportunity to meet professionals in the field.
- Lights, Camera, Action: Media Production 101
- Students will get an extensive hands on experience in media production—learning to use multiple styles of cameras, practicing shot composition, working with microphones, set decoration and props, scripting, on-camera presentation, interviewing, and special effects. Participants will receive a DVD of their completed work. Location Assignments will be included in the workshop. Gina Ryan. Director of HCEC-TV, will be teaching this exciting class. Students who have taken the course previously will also learn some simple editing techniques.
- Mad Scientist and Strange Matter
- What is Strange Matter? You could call it the study of STUFF! Understanding how STUFF is put together, how it can be used, how it can be changed and made better to do more amazing STUFF—even creating completely new kinds of STUFF. Students will make concrete float, make their own quicksand, build a hockey puck, study foams, and perform other activities to investigate how engineers transform materials into STUFF.
- How do they make that? Students will discover materials and processed used to produce a variety of products from plastics. This experience will include making real plastic products students can take home. Guest speakers from the area will help youth understand the background necessary for a high-paying and rewarding career in the plastics industry in the 21st Century.
- The Sounds of Music
- This course is designed to help children develop a life-long love of music. Students will be exposed to singing, playing instruments, dancing, creating music, and the basics of reading and writing music. Students will get the chance to showcase their talents and learn new skills. We will explore music from classical to current popular forms, and even experience music from around the world. Note: The instructor has experience working with special needs children.
- 3D Printing
- Fast prototyping is accelerating product development. Students will see how 3D printing is transforming our world. They will start with a design or idea and create it through the computer when produced on 3D printer. They will use computer software to create a design, then watch it print and take it home.
View the course information online, make your course selections, then complete the Kid's College Registration Form and mail it with your payment to the address shown below. Don't forget to register early! Sometimes excellent courses fill up quick! The deadline for enrollment is seven (7) days prior to the start of the class.
Summer Kid's College c/o ECTC Workforce Solutions 610 College Street Road Elizabethtown, KY. 42701
- Download this year's Kid's College Brochure.
- Download the Kid's College Registration form.
- Complete listing of all courses.