FAQs and Links

Financial Links

Other Links


Am I eligible for financial aid?

To be eligible for student loans (during any semester) a student must maintain enrollment in at least 6 hours.

You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for financial aid:

  • Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security number.
  • Must be accepted for admission and enrolled in an eligible program.
  • Must maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Must not be in default on a student loan or owe a repayment to a Title IV fund.
  • Must have a high school diploma, GED or minimum COMPASS scores of 32 in writing, 62 in reading and 25 in pre-algebra.
  • Must be registered with the Selective Service if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25.

Can I be enrolled at two schools and receive financial aid

You can be enrolled at two schools at the same time, but you cannot receive financial aid from both schools at the same time. Contact the Financial Aid Office for information about agreements with other colleges.

Do I have to be enrolled full-time to receive financial aid?

Aid will depend upon the number of enrolled hours. You can be enrolled in fewer than 6 hours and receive a Pell grant. All other financial aid programs require that you be enrolled in at least 6 hours.

How does it work?

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), apply for Admission, enroll in an eligible program and make satisfactory academic progress. (Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid). After your file is completed and aid is awarded, you may defer your tuition based on your award. If aid is not enough to cover tuition, you must make payment arrangements with the Business Affairs Office to pay the balance.

If I withdraw, will I have to repay the financial aid?

When a recipient of Title IV funds (Loan, Pell, FSEOG, or ACG) withdraws from a school or stops attending before 60% of the term, the school must determine the amount of Title IV aid you have earned as of your withdrawal date. Unearned funds must not be disbursed or must be returned to the Title IV programs depending on your withdrawal date. You should always contact the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from a class to see how this might affect your financial aid.

What is satisfactory academic progress (SAP)?

Federal regulations mandate that a student receiving financial aid under Title IV programs must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in his/her course of study regardless of whether or not financial aid is awarded each semester. To receive and to continue to receive financial aid, you must:

  • Earn (pass) 67% of all credits you attempt in every term
  • Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA at the end of every term
  • Have attempted fewer than 150% of the credits required for your program of study
  • Have completed all developmental hours in fewer than 30 attempts

Is there a way to appeal SAP?

If you are placed on financial aid suspension and have unusual circumstances (illness, death in the family, accidents, etc.) that were a factor in not making Satisfactory Academic Progress, you have the right to submit an appeal. Appeals are reviewed by the ECTC Appeals Committee and all decisions are final. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

How do I apply for a student loan?

You must have indicated on the FAFSA application that you are interested in a loan. If you did not indicate it on the FAFSA, please go to the FAFSA web site, choose Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA, and correct the question concerning the student loan. Once your financial aid file is completed, you will receive a financial aid award offer in your PeopleSoft student Self Service Account. You will receive specific loan award information from the Financial Aid Office that explains how to complete the loan process. You must meet all financial aid guidelines and be enrolled in at least 6 hours that are required for your program to be eligible for a loan. Loans are not processed after mid-term of a semester.

I have prior loans from a bank, what options do I have in repayment now that I will have Direct Loans?

Federal Student Direct loans can be consolidated along with outstanding student loan debt from FFELP (i.e., Stafford Loans). After graduation you have a choice. You may either make individual payments to your previous lender(s) for FFELP and the Department of Education for Direct Loans. However, if you do not want to consolidate your FFELP and Direct Loans, you will have to make separate payments to the different loan servicers. For information on consolidation or an application to consolidate go to the Federal Direct Consolidation website.

What documents do I need to complete the FAFSA?

  • Driver license and Social Security Card
  • Recent income tax return
  • Recent W-2 Forms
  • Records of untaxed income
  • Current bank statement
  • Business and farm records
  • Records of stocks, bonds, and other investments
  • Child support paid or received
  • Other income or benefits

Do I have to use my parents' financial information?

Dependent students must provide parent's information. There are several questions on the FAFSA that you must answer to determine if you are a dependent or an independent student. If you have questions about your status, contact the Financial Aid Office.

I was selected for Verification. What does that mean?

It means you have been selected by the Department of Education to verify that the information reported on the FAFSA is correct. You must fill out a verification worksheet and submit it to the Financial Aid Office along with a copy of your IRS tax return transcript (not the account transcript) or you may use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that is part of the FAFSA on the Web. Other documentation may also be required. If you fail to provide documentation you will not receive financial aid.

For more information on the Verification process click here.

For a list of verification forms click here.

How do I get my money?

Once approved, your financial aid will be credited to your account. Once posted, your fees are deducted. If your award exceeds your direct school cost, funds will be sent to you approximately the 3rd week of classes. Loans for first time borrowers cannot be disbursed until 30 days after classes begin.

How do I charge my books?

If you are approved for grants, loans, and/or KEES money that is more than the cost of your tuition, your books can be charged against your financial aid. You must sign and return the Financial Aid Release (FAR) to the Financial Aid Office. There is a minimum 48 hour processing time before books may be charged. Check with the Financial Aid Office or bookstore for charge dates.

Contact Information

KCTCS/Elizabethtown Community and Technical College
Financial Aid Office
RPC 1st Floor Room 105
610 College Street Road Elizabethtown, KY 42701
(270) 706-8802 or (877) 246-2322 extension 68802