Veterans Affairs Briefing Sheet | ECTC

Veterans Affairs Briefing Sheet

Briefing Requirement

This briefing sheet is information that is required for you to know prior to enrolling in Veterans Affairs. Please carefully read all of the information provided for each category below, then select the link to complete the online version of the form.

By completing the online Veteran Affairs Briefing Sheet Form, you are stating you have read and understand all the information given to you below. The Veteran's Affairs office/personnel are not responsible for any hindrance towards your enrollment status if you fail to read the information provided.

Enrollment Process

Chapter 30 and 35: Complete the Application VA Form 22-1990 and submit online or bring the completed form with a copy or your DD Form 214 copy.

Chapter 1606 and 1607: Complete the Application VA Form 22-1990 and bring the completed form with a copy of their NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility) DD Form 2384.

Chapter 35: Complete the VA Form 22-5490 with support documents.

Chapter 31: Pick up the VA Form 28-1905 from your case manager.

If you submit online downloads please bring a copy to the School Certifying Official.

If you do not have the supporting documents submit the applications without them.

Work-study Program

Who is eligible for the work study program? A student receiving VA education benefits under Title 38 USC, Chapters 33, 30, 31, 32, or 35; or Title 10 USC, Chapter 1606, Chapter 1607; and attending school at the 3/4 time or full time rate.

What type of work does a work study student do? Students must be assigned to work sites that will permit them to perform VA related activities.

How much does VA pay? Pay is based on the higher of the Federal minimum wage of the State/Local minimum wage. Work performed on or after the effective date of any minimum wage increase will be paid at the higher rate even thought the contract may show a lower rate at $7.25 per hour, tax free.

How do students apply for the work study program? Students can apply by completing VA Form 22-8691, "Application for Work-Study Allowance" and submit to the appropriate local office.

See your VA Certifying Official if you have any more questions.

Tutorial Program:

Tutorial assistance may be paid to students under Chapters 30, 33, 35, and 1606. Tutorial assistance is not authorized for Chapter 1607 at this time. Tutorial assistance helps the students pay for necessary tutoring and is a supplement to the student's regular education benefit.

VA may pay tutorial assistance to a student receiving education benefits.

The monthly rate may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1200. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under Chapter 30 and 1606. There is no entitlement charge under Chapter 33 or 35.

The student, tutor, and certifying official must complete an Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance (VA Form 22-1990t). The application may be submitted at the end of each month or combination of months. The application must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last tutoring session certified. VA can pay for tutorial assistance during the one-year period before the date VA receives the application.

Students must have a need, either the student failed the test or failed the class.

See your VA Certifying Official if you have any more questions.

Refresher Training / Deficiency / Remedial Training

Remedial and deficiency courses are courses designed to correct deficiencies in basic mathematics, English, and reading at the elementary of secondary level. These courses can be certified as part of an approved program, but only for students for whom a verifiable need has been established.

Chapter 30, 33, 1606, and 1607: Entitlement is charged for remedial and deficiency training.

Chapter 35: Entitlement is not charged up to 5 months of full-time remedial and deficiency training. If you certify a Chapter 35 student for 6 standard credits and 6 remedial credits the student is paid at the full-time rate, but entitlement is charged at the 1/2-time rate.

Remedial and deficiency courses offered as independent study (online) cannot be approved and cannot be certified to VA.

(Authorized by test score)

The compass test is the placement assessment you must take to enter ECTC if you have not taken the ACT or your ACT scores are not sufficient. The assessment is free 1 time per year. You must have an application to ECTC on file prior to testing. Select this link to Apply for Admission to the college.

See your VA Certifying Official if you have any more questions.

ECTC Certification Form

Student must complete an ECTC VA Enrollment Form every semester when they complete the registration process and receive a printed class schedule. Student must complete this form, every semester, after you receive your class schedule printout, and return it to the Veterans Affairs Office at ECTC in Elizabethtown. It is your responsibility to inform this Veterans Affairs Office of any changes in your enrollment to include any drops, adds, or changes of major; changes in address, phone # etc. each semester. Veterans can only be paid for courses that are required for their degree. Veterans can repeat classes only if the previous grade for that course was an E or F. No payment can be received for audited courses. A student cannot round out until the ECTC Registrar has conducted an audit of his / her file and a copy given directly to the ECTC VA Certifying Official. Student is required by law to submit all prior transcripts and documents that can be used to establish prior credit. Students using MyCAA and Chapter 33 benefits for the same classes must see a VA Coordinator ASAP. If you want your check you must submit the ECTC Certification Form.

Drop / Add Requirement

Report all Drop / Adds to the VA Office immediately.

Reduction and Withdrawals (Chapter 33)

You are authorized a one-time drop only up to 6 credit hours no questions asked.

All changes in credit must be reported, to the School Certifying Official immediately. Keep in mind that credit may be divided between resident credit (Res) and distance learning credit (Dist) for Chapter 33. Adjust resident credit and distance hours separately based on how the adjustment affects one, the other, or both.

Whenever credit hours change, prepare and submit an adjustment. Adjust credit hours, and tuition and fees (if necessary). If a student certified for 12 credit hours drops to 9 credit hours:

  • Change resident credit hours from 12 to 9 credits. Remember, the 12 credits hours may be divided between Resident and Distance. Adjust the credit where appropriate.
  • Change the tuition amount reported for the 12 credits hours to the tuition amount that would have been reported for the 9 remaining credit hours.
  • Change the fees amount reported for 12 credit hours to the fees amount that would have been reported for the 9 remaining credit hours. Some courses have lab fees, etc. Make sure the fees reported are specific to the 9 credit hours that remain.

Reductions and Withdrawals (Chapters 30, 32, 35, 1606, and 1607)

Changes in credit hours that do not change the student's training time do not need to be reported unless the student is a serviceperson and there is a change in tuition and fees. Example: You do not have to report a change from 12 to 15 hour hours or vice versa because both are full-time for a standard quarter or semester.

If a reduction drops a student to < -time, tuition and fees must be reported. Changes in tuition and fees should always be reported for students on active duty and students training at < -time even if there is no change in the training time.

6-Credit Hour Exclusion

VA automatically grants mitigating circumstances for up to 6 credits the first time a student reduces or terminates and mitigating circumstances must be considered. This automatic grant is called the 6-Credit Hour Exclusion. The exclusion is a one-time grant made the first time mitigating circumstances must be considered for the student. Up to 6 credits can be excluded if the student has been awarded benefits for the credit. The 6-Credit Hour Exclusion cannot be granted if the student completes the term and receives non-punitive grades.

Advance Pay

Must submit request at least 60 days prior to the start of the semester. Advance payments are not guaranteed; student is responsible for paying tuition by deadline.

Chapters 30, 32, 35, and 1606. Advance payment is not available under Chapters 33 and 1607.

An advance payment provides a student with benefit payments at the beginning of a school term to help the student meet expenses concentrated at the beginning of the term. An advance payment pays the student s monthly benefit for the first and second month of the quarter or semester in advance. The first month will only pay from the start date through the end of the month.

If you are interested in participating in advance payment, contact your ELR. Schools must certify they can carry out the provisions of advance payment: Schools must handle advance paychecks securely and they must give the advance paycheck to the student when he or she registers (or not more than 30 days before the beginning of school if registration is earlier). Participation in advance payment is voluntary on the part of schools.

If a school participates in advance payment, it can be paid if:

  • The student requests advance pay, and
  • There s more than 30 days between terms and break pay won't be paid (see Break Pay),
  • The student is enrolled at least half-time, and
  • VA receives the advance payment request at least 30 days but not more than 120 days before the enrollment period.

Advance pay requests should be submitted 30 to 120 days before the begin date. The check will be sent to the school, payable to the student. A separate, Certification of Delivery (VA Form 22-1999V) will be sent to the school. When the check is given to the student, immediately complete and return the Certification of Delivery.

An advance will pay the first and second month. The first month may be a partial month, with payment prorated for the number of days attended that month. Advance pay for a student certified September 20,2010 through June 10, 2011 would pay September 20, 2010 through October 30, 2010. Since VA normally pays after a month is completed, the student wouldn't receive another check until December when payment for November is made.

When an advance paycheck is issued, the next check won't issue unless the Certification of Delivery (or the Chapter 1606 generated letter with the same information) mailed to the school is received and processed by VA. If VA sends a letter that says a Certification of Delivery you returned wasn't received, do the following:

  • Call VA (1-888-442-4551) and explain the problem to the Education Case Manager who answers the phone. If the Certification of Delivery has not been input, ask the Education Case Manager to input the certification of delivery.

Processing Time / Fort Knox

Request are processed on a first come first served basis, in a timely manner (within 30 days) after all required documents have been received by the ECTC Certifying Official. Turn all paperwork into ECTC's main campus not Fort Knox. Turing in documents at Fort Knox campus prolongs processing time.

Baccalaureate Transfer

For students enrolled in a transfer program at ECTC.

Cooperative Program

Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607

Colleges and universities are increasingly offering work experience or work related internship programs. VA uses the term cooperative training (co-op) to denote school-sponsored programs that consist of school instruction and on-the-job (OJT) training. For example, a community college may offer A.A.S. Automotive Technology degree with course work at the college and OJT at a car dealership. Like all programs, co-op programs must be specifically approved by SAA prior to the student starting the class.

Rules for cooperative training:

Cooperative training must be full-time program. The school phase and the OJT phase together constitute one co-op cycle. The OJT phase must be an integral part of the school's approved program. The OJT must be supervised by school instructors, the school must arrange the OJT phases with employers, the school must grant credit for the OJT.

A VA student must elect co-op in writing.

The program must approved by the state-approving agency. Written prior approval and a check sheet completed by the student are required before ECTC can certify.

Enrollment Verification

Students receiving Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 must verify their enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by Interactive Voice Response (IVR). The monthly verification of enrollment has not been added for Chapter 33 and Chapter 35, with one exception. Chapter 35 NCD students are mailed a monthly verification form (VA Form 22-8979).

The preferred verification method is WAVE, which includes features not in IVR. When students are awarded benefits, the award letter they receive describes WAVE and IVR. The earliest students can verify their enrollment is the last calendar day of each month.

WAVE allows students to verify their enrollment on the Internet. WAVE is on the Education Service website at

Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE. The WAVE system permits students to perform a multitude of functions. For instance, students may:

  • Verify that enrollment has not changed
  • Report a change in enrollment
  • Change mailing address
  • Initiate or change direct deposit information
  • View the enrollment period and monthly benefit amount
  • View the remaining entitlement
  • Sign up for a monthly e-mail reminder

IVR allows students to phone in (1-877-823-2378) or ( their monthly verification if there are no changes to the enrollment during the previous month. If there were changes in the enrollment, the student must contact the VA Certifying Official to submit a change in status and the payment may be delayed until the reduction is processed.

Change Of Program / Place

VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495 VA will on pay for classes required for degree plan in which student is enrolled. If a student changes his/her program at ECTC the student must submit a Change of Program form to the school certifying official.

VA Coordinator Office Hours

Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. A Certifying Official in not a VA employee.

Prior Credit

Federal Law Requires Students To Report All Prior Credit (Military And Civilian). Request forms are available in the VA Office. Failure to submit transcripts will result in certification not being processed. If you would like to request a military transcript, click here. Once you have opened the web page, click the "OK" button towards the bottom of the page. Then, click "How to request an official transcript" and follow the instructions from there.

One of the criteria for approval of any school for veterans' training is that it review prior credit and grant credit as appropriate to VA student's current program.

Financial Aid

Veterans and their dependents are required to report VA benefits to Financial Aid / FAFSA. All students are encouraged to apply for federal financial aid. Click here to apply for federal financial aid (FAFSA).

Rounding Out

A VA student can round out a schedule with non-required courses to bring his/her course load up to a full-time schedule in his/her last term only. A degree audit is required before a cert can be submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Full time is 12 credit hours in the Spring, 6 credit hours in the Summer, and 12 credit hours in the Fall. Students cannot exceed full-time.

This procedure can be done only once per program.

In rounding out a full-time schedule, VA students may use any credit hour unit subject.

National Test

Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606, 1607

VA students can be reimbursed the fee charged for national admission tests and national tests for college credit. Currently the only approved tests are:

  • SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test)
  • LSAT (Law School Admission Test)
  • GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
  • GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
  • AP (Advanced Placement Exam)
  • CLEP (College-Level Examination Program)
  • ACT (American College Testing Program)
  • DAT (Dental Admissions Test)
  • MAT (Miller Analogies Test)
  • MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test)
  • OAT (Optometry Admissions Testing)
  • PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test)
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
  • DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests)
  • ECE (Excelsior College Examinations)
  • TECEP (Thomas Edison College Examination Program)

Complete information and directions for applying for reimbursement is available at

Unsatisfactory Progress, Conduct and Attendance

The law requires that educational assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons be discontinued when the student ceases to make satisfactory progress toward completion of his or her training objective. Benefits can be resumed if the student re-enrolls in the same educational institution and in the same program. In other cases, benefits cannot be resumed unless VA finds that the cause of the unsatisfactory attendance, conduct or progress has been removed and the program of education or training to be pursued by the student is suitable to his or her aptitudes, interests, and abilities.

KCTCS College Catalog

The KCTCS College Catalog is an important and very helpful tool for any students who plan to enroll into a KCTCS College. In the catalog, you can find information such as Degree/Diploma programs, class information, different colleges, tuition rates, and more. To access the KCTCS College Catalog, click here. Once the web page opens, click on "2014-2015 KCTCS Catalog" to view it.

Ready to Complete the Veterans Enrollment Form?

Remember, all of the information provided for you on this page is required reading prior to completing the online version of the Veteran Affairs Briefing Sheet form.

By selecting the link below, you agree that you have read and understand all of the information provided to you and you are eligible to complete the form:

Veterans Enrollment Form

Contact Information

Hours of Operation:
Monday: 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
Tuesday – Friday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Elizabethtown Community and Technical College
Veterans Affairs Office
Room 110, Regional Postsecondary Center (RPC)
600 College Street Road
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
P: (270)706-8815
F: (270)769-0736