Drive the Big Rigs!
Designed for individuals with little or no commercial driving experience, the program includes everything you will need. The benefits include:
- Department of Transportation physical
- Commercial Driver's License learner's permit
- Department of Transportation rules and regulations
- Log books
- Map reading assistance
- Trip planning guidelines
- Class A road test
Complete vehicle training will prepare you for an entry-level position in the trucking industry. A certificate is awarded to students who complete the course. The program can be completed in four weeks by attending full-time, Monday through Thursday from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
Students may register at any time; however, class size is limited. Enrollments are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. New classes start each Monday. Training is scheduled around holidays and interruptions caused by weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
Classroom Activities, 40 hours:
- CDL permit study
- Endorsement study
- Job procurement
- Log book and hours of service
- Map reading and trip planning
- DOT regulations
- Hazard perception
- Night operation
- Extreme driving conditions
- Railroad crossing safety
- Accident reports
- Double trailers
Yard and Road Skills, 120 hours:
- Pre-trip inspection
- Couple - Uncouple
- Straight backing
- 45 degree backing
- 90 degree backing
- Parallel parking
- Blind side backing
- Double clutching
- Hazard perception
- Uphill - Downhill
- Lane changes
- Space management
- Class A skills test
A high school diploma or GED is not required, however you must:
- Be able to read and write the English language
- Be over 21 years of age
- Be able to meet the Federal DOT physical requirements
- Have a valid driver's license at the time of registration
You may be accepted into the program if you are 18 and over, but limited job placement assistance is available if you are under the age of 21. It is recommended that you obtain a copy of your Motor Vehicle Report from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office prior to starting the program.
- 160 Hour Tractor/Trailer Driver Training
- $4,000 (includes permit, license, DOT physical, and drug test)
- Master Card, Visa, American Express or Discover
- Veterans Administration (VA) benefits - If you feel you are eligible, contact your local VA representative.
- Workforce Investment Act (WIA) - Contact your local job service office to see if you qualify.