Human Services | ECTC

Human Services

Huamn Services

Affect change through meaningful work helping people in need. Our programs train you for careers in social, community, education and mental health services.

Get started today:(855) 746-3282

Request Information

Helping people never looked better!

If your motivation is helping people, a career in Human Services might be the path for you.  You can learn and prepare for jobs in agencies and institutions that provide social, community, education, and mental health services.

What are my career choices?

Upon graduation, you might find employment in the areas of aging services, children and families, disability services, mental health, and chemical dependency.  Some of the organizations in need of these services are hospitals, correctional facilities, geriatric facilities, child/youth services, and other social service agencies.  Job growth is expected to be 27% for human services assistants in Kentucky with 280 job openings annually, as reported by the Kentucky Department for Workforce Investment, Office of Employment and Training.

What classes do I have to take?

You will need to take a core of human services courses and general education courses, like psychology and sociology.  You then apply the skills you acquire in a clinical course usually taken in your last semester.

What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?

Degrees and Transfers

If you want to get a bachelor's degree, Western Kentucky University (WKU) has a completer degree in Social Work with courses offered either online or in Hardin County.  Lindsey Wilson College offers a completer bachelor's degree in Human Services and Counseling on ECTC's campus.

Be aware that the most direct route to a bachelor's degree in Social Work is likely to get an Associate in Arts degree instead of an AAS, especially if you want to transfer to another four-year school.  See the ECTC Transfer page for more information and AA transfer plans specific to particular transfer schools.

Certificate Options

Field Licensure Requirements

Individuals serving in Human Services career fields work with vulnerable populations.  All students are required to have a background check before beginning the Practicum course.  Most, if not all, employment opportunities in the field also require a background check which could result in precluding someone from working in the field.

Where do I start?

Apply for admission to ECTC to receive information from the Admissions Office about submitting your placement test scores (ACT or other exams) and to schedule a meeting with an advisor to register for your classes.

Length of Program

You can earn an Associate in Applied Science or Associate in Arts degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.

This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog (PDF, 408 pages).  You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.

Free Tuition with the Work Ready Scholarship Program

Eligible Programs

Find your future

Viewbook cover

Custom Viewbook

Make One

Program Contact

David Smith

Human Services

Program Coordinator