THE KCTCS STUDENT BILL OF RIGHTS
The KCTCS community recognizes and declares that students have certain fundamental
rights which shall not be arbitrarily abridged or denied or removed without appropriate
due process. Among them are the right to:
- Learn, study, grow, and develop without fear of threats, harassment, bullying, or
discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, nationality, age, religion,
gender, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, or military service.
- Treat others and be treated with civility and recognized as individuals, rather than
- Free written and oral speech, restrained only by those proper constraints that limit
and protect the First Amendment Rights of others.
- Hold and express divergent viewpoints with respect and civility toward others.
- Participate in a community devoted to scholarship, inquiry, debate, thought, and expression
within a community of scholars, including the right to express agreement and dissent.
- Form and participate in student presses and organizations, and to assemble and participate
in the social, religious, and political activities available in a free and open society.
- Participate meaningfully in the governance of their colleges, including, when appropriate,
representation on college or System committees and the KCTCS Board of Regents in accordance
with proper rules and regulations.
- Have privacy in their educational, academic, and financial records.
- Have clear and comprehensible course objectives and requirements, degree and graduation
requirements, transfer policies, and grading policies, and to know with accuracy and
clarity information that assists them in successfully meeting the established academic
standards in their classes.
- Receive grades based only on fair and just evaluations of performance as measured
by standards presented in the first or second class section or in the introductory
materials for a distance learning course.
- Have access to reasonable accommodations as required under S. and state laws related
to the establishment of an equal opportunity to succeed.
- Full disclosure and publication of the substantive rules and possible sanctions as
described in a current KCTCS Code of Student Conduct.
- Have knowledge of allegations against the student, the right to express a proper defense,
the right to know the findings of any proceeding against the student, and a right
to an appeal in accordance with reasonable and proper policies and procedures.
- Be free of penalty for violating regulations, rules, or policies imposed after-the-fact.
- All rights considered basic human rights and memorialized in the United States Constitution,
the laws and regulations of the United States of America, the Kentucky Constitution,
the laws and regulations of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and KCTCS policies and procedures.
- KCTCS students have the right to privacy in their educational, academic, and financial
This right to privacy shall be consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy
Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99). FERPA is a federal
law that protects the confidentiality of personally identifiable information contained
in student education records. KCTCS shall adhere to policies and procedures for identification
of directory information and for any release of information that is not identified
as directory information and therefore protected by FERPA. KCTCS students shall also
enjoy, when relevant, the protections of KRS 164.283.
Just as you have rights as a student, you are also responsible for adhering to the
following KCTCS standards:
Standard 1: Students shall adhere to the highest standards of academic honesty and integrity,
and support a campus environment that is conducive to learning and scholarship.
Standard 2: Students shall respect and preserve the health, safety, welfare, privacy and rights
of all members of the campus community.
Standard 3: Students shall respect the property of others, and the property, facilities, resources,
and reputation of the College.
Standard 4: Students shall observe the rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the College
as well as local, state and federal laws.
KCTCS Code of Student Conduct
To view the entire KCTCS Code of Student Conduct, go to the following web address: