On the road to a great career!
If you're interested in a career repairing and servicing medium and heavy duty trucks, then this program is for you. Academic courses, theory courses, and laboratory experiences are designed to promote success in the diesel technology repair field. You will get hands-on experience repairing late model, medium and heavy duty trucks.
What are my career choices?
Employment of diesel service technicians and mechanics is expected to grow 9 percent from 2016 to 2026. Additional trucks and truck repairers will be needed to keep pace with the increasing volume of freight shipped nationwide. Graduates of the Diesel Technology program find employment in new truck dealerships, fleets, municipalities, independent repair facilities, specialty shops, and agricultural repair shops.
What classes do I have to take?
You will take academic and theory courses and get your hands dirty in ECTC's state-of-the-art diesel shop, which has late model trucks, tractors, and construction machines.
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
Degrees and Transfers
- Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Degree in Diesel Technology - Agriculture Diesel Technician Track (PDF)
- AAS Degree in Diesel Technology - Construction Equipment Technician Track (PDF)
- AAS Degree in Diesel Technology - Medium and Heavy Truck Technician Track (PDF)
If you want to get a bachelor's degree, Western Kentucky University (WKU) has a completer degree with courses offered either online or in Hardin County.
- AAS transfer degree to WKU Workforce Administration, BS degree
- AAS transfer degree to WKU Engineering Technology Management, BS degree
- Agriculture Equipment Mechanic Helper (PDF)
- Construction Equipment Mechanic Helper (PDF)
- Diesel Engine Mechanic Certificate (PDF)
- Diesel Mechanics Assistant Certificate (PDF)
- Diesel Steering and Suspension Mechanic Certificate (PDF)
- Electrical/Electronics Systems Mechanic Certificate (PDF)
- Fluid Power Mechanic Certificate (PDF)
- Heavy Duty Brake Mechanic Certificate (PDF)
- Heavy Duty Drive Train Mechanic Certificate (PDF)
- Medium and Heavy Truck Mechanic Helper Certificate (PDF)
- Mobile Air Conditioning Mechanic Certificate (PDF)
- Preventive Maintenance Mechanic Certificate (PDF)
- Undercarriage Mechanic Certificate (PDF)
The Diesel Technology program at ECTC is accredited by the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Education Foundation, and students have the opportunity to take tests leading to certification by ASE.
Field Licensure Requirements
Some employers in the industry require ASE certification. ASE certification is not required to complete the program at the college, but students are encouraged to become ASE certified to improve their job prospects.
Where do I start?
Apply for admission to ECTC to receive information from the Admissions Office about submitting your placement test scores (ACT or other exams) and to schedule a meeting with an advisor to register for your classes.
Length of Program
You can earn an Associate in Applied Science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog (PDF, 408 pages). You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.