ECTC Fresh Start Program
Summer 2024 Semester that begins June 3 Application Due Date: May 9, 2024
No further applications will be accepted for this session after this date.
Spring 2024 2nd 8 Week Session that begins March 11 is now CLOSED. No further application will be accepted for these sessions.
Summary: The ECTC Fresh Start Program is intended to help students who have previously attended ECTC, did not graduate, and want to come back to ECTC to finish their credential but are prevented from doing so by a debt owed to the college. Students may have their prior debt to ECTC paid over time upon successful completion of the program requirements. This is not a student loan forgiveness program. This only applies to debt that is still owed to ECTC, not loans from any lender.
Applications will only be considered if all requirements are met for students who:
- Have been 1 year removed from the last semester attended.
- Have a Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Have not earned a diploma/degree.
- Have a past due account balance.
- Have a completed FAFSA for the current year with ECTC as the selected college.
- Have a demonstrated means to pay for future coursework through financial aid or other sources.
Preference may be given to students who can complete their chosen credential within two semesters.
What are the Program Requirements after being Accepted into the Program?
- Register for a minimum of six credit hours each semester (or whatever SAP approved) until credential is received. Summer requires a minimum of three credit hours (or whatever SAP approved).
- Limit coursework to only those courses required for graduation.
- Earn a minimum of a "C" grade in each course.
- Meet all financial aid student and account balance requirements.
- Meet monthly with a Success Coach.
- Attend required tutoring sessions or other support sessions if recommended by instructor, coach or advisor.
- For the current enrolled term, the student must have financial aid in place, or payment in full made for the entire remaining balance, prior to the first date of class.
How is My Balance to ECTC Forgiven?
A student's balance with the college is forgiven either in increments of $500 per semester (or total amount owed if less than $500); or for the number of semesters it takes to complete a credential (diploma or associate degree). The final payment will equal the remaining balance when a student satisfactorily completes the Fresh Start Program. Some debts may be paid in full after one successful semester. Students must be enrolled at least part-time (6 hours Fall or Spring, 3 hours Summer) and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to remain eligible. Debt from other colleges will not be paid as part of this program.
Example 1: Student left ECTC owing a balance of $1,000 in 2013 and their account has been turned over to the DOR. Student returns to ECTC and enrolls as a full-time student. Student successfully completes the semester. ECTC pays $500 of the student's past-due balance. Student enrolls for the next semester. At the end of that successful semester, ECTC pays the other $500 of the past-due balance.
Example 2: Student left ECTC owing a balance of $400 in 2019 and their account was not turned over to the DOR. Student returns to ECTC and enrolls as a part-time student. Student finishes the diploma in one semester. ECTC forgives the $400 balance.
*ECTC may "pay" balances through whatever means deemed necessary by ECTC.
Completed applications will not be considered for review if any of the qualifications under the “Who Qualifies?” section are not met.