International Student Services | ECTC

International Student Services


We welcome international students from all over the world. At ECTC, you will get a high-quality education at the lowest tuition rates in Kentucky. In small classes, you’ll get to know faculty who take a personal interest in your success.

What is an F-1 Visa Student?

What is an F-1 visa?

The F-1 visa is for citizens of foreign countries who want to come to the U.S. temporarily to go to school. An F-1 visa is a paper stamp placed in a person’s passport by a U.S. official from a U.S. Embassy outside of the U.S. The F-1 visa allows a person to apply at a U.S. port of entry for admission into the U.S. for the purpose of pursuing a program of study at a U.S. college or university.

What is an F-1 visa student?

An F-1 student is someone who has been granted an F-1 visa as permission from the U.S. federal government to enter and remain in the United States temporarily as a full-time student.  F-1 students must follow special regulations to maintain their visa status.

How do I obtain an F-1 visa?

To obtain an F-1 visa, you must first apply to the U.S. college or university of your choice.  If you are accepted to Elizabethtown Community & Technical College, you are given a Form I-20 from the college. The form I-20 is proof that you have been accepted to ECTC. After you have been given an I-20, you can apply for F-1 student status with the U.S. government.

F1 Visa students also must follow special regulations. Among them, students:
  • Must always be a full-time student except during school vacation.
  • May only work on-campus, for up to 20 hours per week.
  • May not work off-campus without special permission from the immigration service.
  • Must always have a valid passport.
  • Must have proof of financial support for their time and studies in the U.S.
  • Must follow special procedures for transferring schools, traveling, and reporting changes to personal and financial information.

More Information for International and Immigrant Students:


  1. Complete the application for submission.
    • A Social Security Number is not required to complete the application.

  2. Provide proof of English language proficiency.
    • English language proficiency is mandatory and necessary for the opportunity of a successful educational outcome at ECTC as all courses are offered in English.
    • TOEFL, IELTS, Michigan English Test (50+), or ECTC’s free MEPT exam (70+) are all accepted.
    • Visit ECTC’s Assessment center to sign up for the free MEPT Exam.

  3. Provide school transcripts.
    • Submit high school transcript. Graduation date must be recognizable either numerically or translated into English.
    • Submit transcripts for any college or university you have previously attended.  All post-secondary transcripts must be officially evaluated by
    • If you are unable to provide your post-secondary transcript(s), you may request a “Transcript Waiver” that waives your right to have any credits transferred to your ECTC degree plan.

  4. Submit placement test scores for English Math and Reading.
  5. Provide state-issued ID, Passport, Visa, or Permanent Resident Card if available.
  6. Establish residency status
    • The admissions application includes questions regarding residency status. This is to determine whether you qualify for Kentucky’s in-state tuition or out-of-state tuition.
    • If the application codes you as a Non-Resident, you may file a Residency Appeal to be considered an in-state resident. Out-of-state residents pay about $75 more per credit hour than in-state residents.

  7. Financial Aid/Grant Eligibility.
    • In most cases if you are not a citizen of the United States, you would not be eligible for federal, or state funded financial aid. Please review the following exceptions:
      1. You are a permanent U.S. resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
      2. You are a conditional permanent resident with a Conditional Green Card (I-551C)
      3. You are the holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Parolee” (I-94 confirms that you were paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), T-Visa holder (T-1, T-2, T-3, etc.) or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant”
      4. You are the holder of a valid certification or eligibility letter from the Department of Health and Human Services showing a designation of “Victim of human trafficking.”
    • You are not eligible for financial aid based on the following:
      1. You are in the United States and have been granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
      2. You have an F-1, F-2, or M-1 student visa
      3. You have a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor visa
      4. You have a G series visa (about international organizations)
    • Regardless of the criteria listed above, you are still encouraged to complete the FAFSA form as you may still be eligible for scholarships that may require FAFSA data.

  8. Ready to Enroll
    Once your admission file is complete, you are ready to enroll.  We will send you a link to meet with an advisor and pick out your classes.


Creating Opportunities for Diversity in Education (CODE)