Drive the Big Rigs!
Enrolling Students Now
New classes are scheduled to begin every month!
All Entry Requirements listed below, including DOT physical exam and required documentation, are required at the beginning of class. Payment Plans are available.
Our friendly, knowledgeable staff is standing by to answer any question you may have, to help you register for class, and to help you enroll in a Payment Plan.
Call 270/706.8645 for more information.
Designed for individuals with little or no commercial driving experience, the program includes everything you will need. The benefits include:
- Department of Transportation rules and regulations
- Log books
- Map reading assistance
- Trip planning guidelines
Complete vehicle training will prepare you for an entry-level position in the trucking industry. A certificate is awarded to students who complete the course. The program can be completed in four weeks by attending full-time, Monday through Thursday from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
Students may register at any time; however, class size is limited. Enrollments are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. New classes start each month. Training is scheduled around holidays and interruptions caused by weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
Classroom Activities, 40 hours:
- CDL permit study
- Endorsement study
- Job procurement
- Log book and hours of service
- Map reading and trip planning
- DOT regulations
- Hazard perception
- Night operation
- Extreme driving conditions
- Railroad crossing safety
- Accident reports
Yard and Road Skills, 120 hours:
- Pre-trip inspection
- Couple - Uncouple
- Straight backing
- 45 degree backing
- 90 degree backing
- Parallel parking
- Blind side backing
- Double clutching
- Hazard perception
- Uphill - Downhill
- Lane changes
- Space management
- Class A skills test
A high school diploma or GED is not required, however you must:
- Be able to read and write the English language
- Be over 21 years of age
- Be able to meet the Federal DOT physical requirements - Completed Physical and drug test prior to enrollment
- Have a valid driver's license at the time of registration
- Have a birth certificate at the time of registration
** If needed, request a birth certificate from the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services.
You may be accepted into the program if you are 18 and over, but limited job placement assistance is available if you are under the age of 21. It is recommended that you obtain a copy of your Motor Vehicle Report from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office prior to starting the program.
- 160 Hour Tractor/Trailer Driver Training
- Master Card, Visa, American Express or Discover
- Veterans Administration (VA) benefits - If you feel you are eligible, contact your local VA representative.
- Workforce Investment Act (WIA) - Contact your local job service office to see if you qualify.
- Payment Plans Available
- Scholarships Available
Contact InformationMichael Franklin, CDL Program Coordinator/Instructor KCTCS/Elizabethtown Community and Technical College Workforce Solutions Occupational Technical Building, Room 207 610 College Street Road Elizabethtown, KY 42701 email@example.com Trish Smallwood, CDL Program Administrative Assistant
KCTCS/Elizabethtown Community and Technical College
610 College Street Road
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
270/706.8645 or 270/706.8700