Starfish for Students
The Starfish application is a great academic tool for our students. Our course instructors use the Starfish application to provide their students with feedback on their class performance. Instructors can raise flags if they have concerns, referrals to make you aware of resources on campus, and even kudos to let you know that you are doing well.
All Starfish instructor feedback is sent directly to your student email account but it can also be accessed online through the Starfish web application.
How do I login to Starfish?
Starfish is easy to access through your Student Self-Service, or Blackboard. Once you are logged into Starfish, you can schedule an appointment with your advisor or review any feedback your instructors have left for you about your coursework. You can also find information and locations for any student support services that are available on campus.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Okay, I received feedback from my instructor, now what?
It depends on the feedback you received. If you received kudos, congratulations on doing well in your course. Consider volunteering as a peer tutor or becoming a mentor. If you received flags or referrals, check with your instructor to see how you can get back on track in the class or utilize free resources at ECTC to help improve your performance.
What Resources are available at ECTC to help me be successful?
ECTC offers many services to help. The first step is to check with your instructor for options. You can also use the following services at ECTC for free!
- Student Success Hub
- Get tutoring help with your classes, access to the food pantry, clothing closet, counseling, diversity and inclusion area, and a variety of other services to help students succeed.
- Computer Lab
- Internet or computer crashed at home? Use the one of the student computer labs to stay on top of assignments.
- SMILE Lab
- For supplemental instruction in math courses
- Transfer and Career Services
- Transfer representatives from many state universities and the Kentucky Career Center are available to meet with ECTC students each semester. You can contact ECTCAdvising@kctcs.edu to schedule an appointment.
How can I find my advisor in Starfish?
If you sign into Starfish, you can find your advisor, instructors and support services through the Success Network tab on the left-hand navigation menu. If your advisor or instructors have office hours in Starfish, you can click on the link to schedule an appointment.
My advisor doesn't have hours in Starfish. How do I schedule an appointment?
Some instructors and advisors have not added hours to Starfish. You can attempt to contact them by email, phone or by stopping by their office and using the sign-up sheet they have on their door.
I am changing my major. Who should I contact to change my advisor for my new program?
You can contact the Counseling Office at ECTCAdvising@kctcs.edu for an advisor update. Don't forget to fill out the "Change My Major" form in Student Self-Service!
- Please contact us at ECTCAdvising@kctcs.edu.